Fact and Fiction

Thoughts about a funny old world, and what is real, and what is not. Comments are welcome, but please keep them on topic.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Pi (update 3)

When I haven't been filling myself with mince pies and mulled wine, I have been writing up my analysis of Kate Bush's song π (Greek letter p) which I described earlier here, here, and here.

There is quite a lot of material, so I have organised it as a web site called A Great Big Circle.

I have actually got quite a bit further with decoding this song than I have described on the web site, but I will need to do some "field work" to sanity-check the various ideas that I have had. Conveniently, the field work can be combined with a holiday in a very nice area of the country (i.e. the Land's End area, Cornwall).

With what I have discovered thus far, I know for certain that Kate lavishes attention on every detail of her published music, and that even things that appear to be sloppy errors (e.g. out-of-tune notes, or clumsy lyrics) are actually deliberate.

6 Comments:

At 10 January 2006 at 15:02, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The doctor prescribes a short course of Diaconis.

 
At 10 January 2006 at 17:50, Blogger Stephen Luttrell said...

I assume you are talking about this person, and his interest in card shuffling.

I can only presume that you think that the likelihood of some of my unscrambled Ordnance Survey map coordinates is too low for them to be significant.

However, I did post the following "health warning" on a couple of the pages:

Health warning: the longer the block of digits from which I extract the 6 digits to form the OS map coordinate, the less significant is the result that is obtained. This is because a long block of digits is more likely to contain interesting results by random chance alone.

Was that insufficient for you?

Remember that the unscrambled coordinates have to lie on the coast, and have to refer to circular features. This usually filters down the number of alternatives to a single choice, although for some of the longer blocks of digits there are so many unscrambled OS map coordinates that the level of ambiguity remains rather high even after filtering.

 
At 12 January 2006 at 13:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it's very much more to do with how the son does begin to cope with the whole loneliness and pain of being without his father. It is the magic moments of a relationship through a child's eyes, but told by a sad adult. (KB-1985)

 
At 12 January 2006 at 18:00, Blogger Stephen Luttrell said...

I did a search, and I found that your comment is part of what KB said about "Cloudbursting" (see here).

One can imagine all sorts of connections between different parts of KB's work, but what has Cloudbursting got to do with Pi, which is what my blog posting was about?

Unless, of course, your comment is misplaced parody, in which case have a closer look at this if you wish to learn the "truth". I would be very interested to hear specific comments about any errors that you find there.

 
At 26 February 2006 at 19:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unaware and tearing you asunder: Let it go

 
At 27 February 2006 at 00:08, Blogger Stephen Luttrell said...

What a cryptic remark! I find KB much easier to decode than you, and that is saying something!

Would you care to enlighten me about what you are saying?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home